Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Response to Language Investigation One

I noticed a lot of the investigations talked about sarcasm and inside jokes arising out of misunderstandings. I also read a couple that described other languages that seep into their household conversation. Like my own family, I was happy to find out that some sang songs, usually horribly, for certain occasions...ours was going to bed.

I think these patterns reveal that family discourse materializes through shared memories and experiences and has a lot to do with heritage and culture.

I also haven't gotten Lives On the Boundary yet, but I'm guessing an "insider," in terms of language, means being familiar enough with a language and the setting it's used in to create a similar language within it. From the outside, this language probably makes no sense but from the inside, it holds new meanings and associations

No comments: